Anyone interested in volunteering will need to complete an online application, undergo a background check, participate in an interview with a CASA staff member, and complete court approved training before being assigned a case.
To be a CASA volunteer you must be at least 21 years old, you must feel abuse and neglect is a community problem that needs community action and support, you must be able to work with frustrating circumstances and sometimes unbelievable situations, and you must keep accurate notes and enjoy people.
As a volunteer you make home visits to collect information regarding the parents and children on your case. You attend court hearings and make recommendations to the court regarding the placement of the children you are working with and services or help for the parents. You also maintain contact with school officials, therapists, and anyone who is involved with the child/children and parents you are assigned.
We offer training for new volunteers several times each year. The training curriculum is part online and part in-person (6 meeting dates) for a total of 30 hours. Training includes:
• Your role as a CASA volunteer
• Child Abuse and Neglect cases (also known as CHINS – Children In Need of Services)
• Some of the common issues that may bring a family to court - drug/alcohol abuse, sexual abuse, neglect, and domestic violence
• How to interact with children and families
• Following a case through the court system
• Writing a report to the court
Ready to get involved? Contact us at (260)449-7190 or fill out our ONLINE APPLICATION.