Child Visitation Specialist
DEPARTMENT: Allen County Office of GAL/CASA
REPORTS TO: Director
STATUS: Contractual, Part-time, no benefits
HOURS: Maximum of 24 hours per week/1200 hours per year
COMPENSATION: $18 per hour
BASIC FUNCTION: Under the direction of the CASA Director, the Child Visitation Specialist provides professional CASA representation on CHINS (Child in Need of Services) cases in which an attorney Guardian ad Litem (GAL) is appointed. This is a CONTRACTUAL, grant funded position. The continuation of this position is dependent on available grant funds.
- Work under the guidance and supervision of the Director or a designated CASA staff member.
- Accept assignment of children through coordination with the CASA Director, CASA Attorney, and Attorney GAL appointed in the case.
- Review each child's case file and gather additional documentation and information.
- Work with Attorney GAL and CASA Director to determine frequency of child visits.
- Initiate direct contact with the child and the child's caregivers in various placements to assess child wellbeing and appropriateness of placement.
- Visit children in their educational or day care setting, when applicable.
- After each visit, report findings/activity in Optima (CASA’s case management system) for CASA staff and Attorney GALs to review and use in court as necessary.
- Document the child’s wishes or concerns and assist to resolve any ongoing issues that impact the child’s mental or physical wellbeing.
- Consult with other CASA staff, as needed, for case guidance.
- Engage in case staffings with the Attorney GAL and CASA staff to share information and develop on-going strategies for in-court advocacy.
- Bring any significant changes in the child’s situation to the attention of the Attorney GAL.
- Attend court evidentiary hearings as needed.
- Participate in provider and family meetings of assigned case when necessary and appropriate.
- Conduct a wider scope of investigation on “High Risk” cases when necessary and appropriate or when requested by the judicial officer.
- Assist with the transfer of a case to a CASA Volunteer Advocate when applicable.
- Other duties as assigned.
EXPERIENCE & ABILITIES:
NOTE: These requirements represent minimum levels in order to perform the job on a satisfactory basis. Candidates must have the ability to satisfactorily perform the essential functions of the job.
- DAILY TRAVEL IS REQUIRED. The Child Visitation Specialist is required to travel to locations throughout Allen County and possible regional locations in their own vehicle. The Child Visitation Specialist will be reimbursed mileage established by county ordinance.
- High school diploma or GED, college degree preferred; or, three years of experience in social services or a related field.
- Working knowledge of Indiana Laws pertaining to Children In Need of Services (CHINS) cases.
- Working knowledge of Allen Superior Court’s CHINS process.
- Completion of 30 hours initial training as a Court Appointed Special Advocate.
- Working knowledge of services available to parents and children in the community.
- Valid Driver’s License in order to travel to and from court, home visits, and various meetings.
- Proficiency in the English language, including reading, writing, speaking, and listening skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, and verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Strong independent work skills.
- Ability to accurately operate and perform computer related tasks with specific equipment and software applications required.
- Strong computer skills (including the ability to use Microsoft Office and other job-related software) and the ability to use standard office equipment.
- Ability to work cooperatively with different types of personalities and individuals of diverse racial/economic/cultural background.
DIFFICULTY OF WORK:
The Child Visitation Specialist performs work that is broad in scope and of substantial intricacy in gathering pertinent information on child abuse and neglect cases. Judgment is required in order to assess gathered information and recommend appropriate services for families.
The Child Visitation Specialist provides direct services for the CASA Program. Purpose and desired results are indicated and unusual problems or deviations from guidelines and practices are discussed with the supervisor. Work is reviewed for soundness of judgement and conclusions.
PERSONAL WORK RELATIONSHIPS:
The Child Visitation Specialist maintains frequent contact with attorney GALs, CASA Staff, Court Staff, volunteers, governmental and non-governmental agencies, and CHINS clients for the Office of GAL/CASA.
The Child Visitation Specialist works in and out of a standard office setting with frequent sitting and the ability to move about freely. Some lifting of up to twenty pounds and bending is required and frequent typing and attention to detail exists. Some proofreading is required. The Child Visitation Specialist frequently has contact with individuals who may be hostile, emotional, and/or aggressive.
LICENSING: Valid Driver’s License and Auto Insurance
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR: Director of CASA
HOURS: Not to exceed an average of 24 hours per week or 1200 hours annually
COMPENSATION:$18 per hour
To apply: Allen County CASA | Child Visitation Specialist Position